The list of states where REC legalization could be in play next year is shaping up. Among them:
- The New Jersey Senate voted to put REC legalization on the 2020 ballot.
- New York, which could legalize legislatively this year appointed Norman Birenbaum Director of Cannabis Programs. He previously held a similar position in Rhode Island.
- Rhode Island Senate President Dominick Ruggerio (D) said he would not support REC legalization this year.
- Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody (R) filed a petition with the state supreme court to oppose a REC initiative targetting the November ballot.
- Vermont, which has legalized REC but not regulated a state industry, appears poised to take up the issue.
- Arizona also appears likely to have a REC ballot initiative in November.