Manitoba’s RCMP succinctly summed up the appeal of illicit cannabis when it published a list of “Common signs to help identify an illegal online cannabis retailer,” alongside helpful clip-art icons. They included:
- “Requests payment by e-transfer or cryptocurrency,”
- “Packaging/products appeal to young persons”;
- “Referral bonuses, sign up bonuses or other promotions”;
- “Ships anywhere in Canada.”
Vice‘s Manisha Krishnan pointed out this list “[sounds] pretty great” compared with the comparatively small number of legal REC stores offering lower-quality product and multi-day shipping only in-province by Canada Post.
Winnipeg Free Press reporter Sol Israel noted there’s good reason for the RCMP campaign, as many Canadians have bought from illicit online sellers believing they were buying legally.
- The Alberta Motor Association found 21% of Albertans are unsure about how edibles might affect driving, while 26% don’t know edibles may have a different effect than smoked cannabis.