Between October 2018 and June of this year, MED sales declined by 25%. Though licensed MED client registrations had been steady for years, since October they’ve largely stalled.
MJ Biz Daily
- Provinces with the greatest number of REC stores saw the greatest decline in MED sales.
- The chief barrier to MED growth is excise tax, which increased the cost of MED by up to 30%, depending on province.
- Materia CEO Deepak Anand called for governments to enable pharmacy sales of MED and to scrap the taxes.
- Most LPs will be using recycled post-consumer resin (PCR) packaging by the middle of next year, while plans for “biodegradable” plastic packaging are questionable.
Globe and Mail
- Intellectual property gets complicated in a sector where people have been innovating in secret for decades. That means it’s hard to get patents on cannabis.