Boston City Council passed significant reforms designed to benefit smaller cannabis businesses and those owned by people of color.
Under the bill, which Mayor Marty Walsh (D), who opposed REC legalization, said he would sign, the city will create a “Boston Cannabis Board” to publicly evaluate license applications on criteria such as their diversity hiring plan.
- The Boston Globe endorsed the move in an editorial.
Meanwhile in California, Chris Roberts looks at how California has failed craft farmers.
- And in a blow to legal operators, California pot taxes are going up January 1.
- Nicole Elliott, Gov. Gavin Newsom’s (D) point person on the cannabis industry, emphasized that the hike “is not a discretionary action” but rather was calculated based on laws passed in 2017.
- New Jersey may have a REC ballot initiative in 2020.
- Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo (D) said she would pursue REC legalization through the legislature in 2020. She said, Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker (R) told her “Look, you’re going to have to do it, so you probably should do it right.”